Nanaimo students will be going back to school as usual this September, as B.C. teachers have postponed any action until they make further negotiations with the government.
B.C. Teacher's Federation president Jim Iker wrote in an email to members that bargaining has been postponed until October as the government and union head to court this month.
Nanaimo District Teacher's Federation president Mike Ball said, from a teacher's perspective, there will be no job action at all in September.
"I'm not saying there is going to be job action or there isn't (after that)," Ball said. "But at this point, until the government says they're going to bring resources to the table, we don't know."
Ball said 19 days are scheduled in B.C. Supreme Court this month.
A 2011 ruling stated the government violated the union's constitutional rights by denying them certain privileges such as the right to bargain over class size and composition.
Ball said if the government comes to the table and decides to offer nothing, there will be a lot of unhappy teachers.
"I think the difference is going to be whether the government finds funding," he said.
"It's hard to say at this point how it's going to go."
B.C. Education Minister Peter Fassbender wrote in a statement Sunday that the government has "already taken steps to do what the BCTF has asked for, which is to bargain directly with the government on provincial matters." Meanwhile, CUPE Local 606 has initiated a mandate for 72-hour strike notice, but Ball said he doubts a strike will happen.
CUPE-B.C. launched an ad campaign last week in attempt to build support for union members who voted to strike after talks with the government broke off.
CUPE-B.C. president Mark Hancock said in a release that the union has "made every effort to bargain a fair and reasonable settlement with the employers, but their lack of preparation is threatening to disrupt classes this fall."
© Copyright 2013